Sunday, September 19, 2010

Passenger Subframe Connector Preparation

The starting point for the floorboard replacement is the installaton of subframe connectors. These connectors serve as the structure of the floor when the floorpans are removed.

I cut open the rear portion of the front frame rail the weekend before last. Today, I straightened the metal a little and then stripped around where I will spot weld in the subframe connector.



The two tabs you can see on either side of the subframe were originally folded in to form the back. Many cut them off completely leaving a straight weld surface around the back. That would be a little easier but this way will keep it from having the straight cut and welded on look of an aftermarket piece. I don't care much but just want it to blend in a little.

There are a few holes around the stock frame rail. There is no purpose for these holes. They can cause dirt and water to get in the frame rail so I plan to just weld them all closed. I'm very new to welding so I'll obviously need to practice a little first.

The back frame rail was very easy to clean. I just used a course wire wheel in my cordless drill and a few minutes later everything looked ready for welding. I'll need to cover it and the subframe connector with primer so that nothing rusts while before I can paint the underside of the car.



I cleaned both the subframe connectors with mineral spirts and primed them with Krylon Rust Tough primer. I planned to use weld thru primer but have read it is not really worth the money. I'll clean the weld areas and then primer them after welding.

No comments: