Sunday, December 12, 2010

Passenger Toe Board Installation

On the weekend of December 4th, I started work on the passenger side toe board. I already had a replacement panel which I ordered from CJ Pony parts a few weeks prior. I slowly trimmed on the panel to place the butt welds in the least visible locations while still removing all the rust. The panel was contoured very similar to the original toe board but it did require some work at the top which took a little while.

After the panel fit perfectly, I slowly started cutting out the original toe board from the car. The picture below is during the process of test fitting and cutting out metal so the new toe board could be butt welded into place. Once I had the panel very close to fitting perfectly, I had to call it a day.




On the weekend of December 11th, I started welding the toe board into place. I used a copper backing plate to keep the bottom side of the weld looking nice. The welding went much better than expected. As beginner, I expected to have a tremendous amount of trouble. While it was not completely necessary, I then spent some time on Sunday grinding down the welds . I'll ultimately cover them with sound deadener but I wanted it to look presentable anyway.

Over the nights of the next few days, I put a little USC All Metal filler on the panel and sanded it smooth. Again overkill but this gave me a little experience and allowed me to see how well I could finish off a panel. I'm fairly happy with the result.

No comments: