Sunday, December 3, 2017

Rear Gear Ratio Upgrade - Part One

In June, I purchased a Motive 3.80 rear gear set which has been waiting on my workbench for months now.  Randomly, today I decided I would start the project of getting them installed. 

I decided to tackle the project now as I have a few hours in the morning tomorrow before I need to catch a flight for work.  It is one of the few weekdays in which I have time to drive over to drop off the parts for installation.  Additionally, I'll make it back just early enough on Wednesday to pick up the parts during the work day.  In that regard, the timing is really good.

The task of removing the rear carrier is not very hard and does not take a great deal of time.  However, it is a rather messy job and don't particularly like the smell of rear gear oil much.  I made quick work of it though and within an hour or so had the carrier laying on the garage floor.



The new gears are part number F880380.  I also purchased a new FelPro gasket for the carrier.  I did not buy near bearings as the ones which are in the carrier were replaced from a kit I purchased when I had the 3.25 gears installed.  I'm going back to the same shop so I hope they don't give me any trouble.  I doubt they will as they did not want to warranty this at all the first time as they were using all of my parts so I imagine the same will be true this time.  


No comments: