Sunday, October 27, 2019

New Radiator Overflow Tank

Once I upgraded to a larger radiator before the Tulsa trip, the old plastic overflow tank I was using no longer fit in the original location.  Very little actually fits beside the radiator so I decided to get a nice stainless steel version and make a custom bracket to hold it.  This week I started that process by ordering a Spectre 2" X 13" overflow tank (Part # 4179).  

The tank arrived this past Thursday and I started work on installing it yesterday morning.  I used a piece of 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 1/16" aluminum angle to form the bracket.  I cut down one side so that it would fit the mounting area along the side of the radiator shroud perfectly.  I then worked on the other side to make two tabs which matches the tabs on the overflow tank.  With those things done, I drilled a few holes to mount everything up.



I painted it with the Krylon 1613 paint that I used on most of the under hood parts.  I then installed everything using some stainless steel bolts I picked up at Lowe's.  Its a much better option than the old plastic container which I zip tied to the fender apron in order to make the trip to Tulsa.  With the new container in place, I removed the plastic one and was able to reinstall the windshield washer tank.



The final product looks good.  Just about every overflow tank seems to have a 1/4" inlet which does not match my 3/8" radiator nipple.  I'm going to run a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter so that I will not have any leaks trying to use a clamp to get 3/8" hose to secure on a 1/4" inlet.  



No comments: