Sunday, October 12, 2008

Steering Center Link

This weekend I stripped some of the front suspension subframe. I don't enjoy stripping the paint from all these parts of the Mustang. It is long tedious work and you end up very dirty. I wear a mask and eye protection but still end up inhaling some paint particles. I've stripped all the engine bay parts so the subframe is all that is left. It is the least rewarding as no one will see this area.

After working on the subframe for a while, I stopped and worked on the steering center link. The center link is the only steering component after the steering box I will use after the restoration. While normally a dark unfinished metal color, I chose to paint it chassis black. It took a large amount of work with a wire wheel to clean all the surface rust, grease, and road grime off. The end product was worth the work.

I've included a picture of the finished center link bar. I keep posting pictures of these parts I've painted but since they are black, little detail can be seen. This piece has a textured surface which really looks nice with the satin black. Too bad it is going under the car were no one will see it.

The second item in the picture is a roller idler arm which I purchased. It is a Moog part upgraded to include a roller bearing joint. Since my Mustang has manual steering, this will greatly reduce steering effort. It is also fitted with two grease fittings for easy maintenance and years of life.


No comments: