Monday, October 27, 2008

Spindle & Caliper Bracket Restoration

Over the past week, I've cleaned and stripped the surface rust from my spindles and caliper brackets. These are part of the suspension and brake purchase I made earlier this summer. The parts are from a '70 Mustang. The spindles are a desired part for road racers as they are thicker spindles than those used on the '64-'69 Mustangs.

After stripping each, I painted them Chassis Black. Eastwood's Chassis Black is resistant to chips and brake fluid which makes it a good paint for these parts. I'll leave the caliper's unfinished as I do not want to add any paint which would cause them to retain heat. Additionally, I can always do that quickly in the future if I purchase rims which make the calipers visable.

Over the past few weeks, I purchased some parts of the brake system which were missing from the original purchase. This includes pad retaining clips, a caliper alignment bracket, and I purchased new grade 8 bolts and lock washers to secure the caliper bracket to the spindles. Once the paint dries (takes a couple days for Chassis Black), I will assembly the brakes so the entire spindle assembly can just be bolted on when the suspension is installed.

No comments: