Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sway Bar Preparation

The original sway bar installed on my '67 Mustang is about a 1/2" in diameter. The sway bar included in my recent bulk suspension purchase is a 1 1/8" sway bar from Dallas Mustang. This sway bar is larger than I planned to purchase and is used by those wanting a true performance supension. This type sway bar paired with stiff springs can result in a rough ride on streets but very good performance on the track.

If you are not aware, a sway bar works in conjunction with the springs. The sway bar connects the lower control arm from each side of the supension. When a vehicle enters a corner and begins to lean to one side, the sway bar acts as a lever to involve the spring from the opposite side to counter this leaning motion. This keeps the tires in better contact with the road and allows the vehicle to corner better. It also feels more stable with a larger sway bar as the car does not rock from side to side as much in corners.

I've decided to use the sway bar as my springs are not as aggressive as most choose to use. As a result, the larger swaybar will be offset by the softer springs. This should allow the car to absorb bumps well when driving down the road as this is impacted mostly by the springs. The sway bar will then give me a little better than average cornering ability which is what I am looking to achieve.

The bar was a little scratched up and a strange gold color. I sanded the bar down along with the support brackets. I then painted the bar with Eastwood Satin Chassis Black.



4 comments:

Andrew said...

How is the Eastwood Satin Chassis Black paint holding up? Do you reccomend it?

Andrew said...

Or is there another paint that you use now?

Craig said...

I still use the Chassis Black for under carriage components. It holds up better than anything else I've found in a spray can. You can buy the stuff from CJ Pony parts cheaper than Eastwood and get free shipping.

Andrew said...

Sounds like a winner to me. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm getting ready to buy a 67' off craigslist.