Monday, August 4, 2008

Radiator Support & Inner Fender Markings

While stripping the paint from the front of my Mustang, I've located many build markings. These were all used as the vehicle was moved throught the assembly line to indicate the components to use on the vehicle.

The first item I noticed was a large 8 on the front passenger side inner fenderwell. The marking was made in a white permanent crayon. It is said to indicate the vehicle was to be equiped with the 289 V8 motor.

The second item I noticed was on the lower driver side of the radiator support. This number (570) is referred to as the secondary rotation number. This number matches a number included on the buildsheet for the vehicle. This number was used to track the vehicle along a second production line for the drivetrain and interior portion of the assembly. It was also made with a white permanent crayon.

The last item I noticed was a set of build codes written in permanent crayon under the engine bay paint. I did not notice these until I began to chemically strip the paint from the radiator support. The numbers are:
5C - Coupe code
I - Lime Gold paint code
4A - Black bench seat interior code

The final code is a little higher on the radiator support and is D112. I've not been able to determine what this code indicates. If by chance you know, please post a comment with details.

For those interested, these were found on a Dearborn produced Mustang built on 04/21/67.



1 comment:

Andrew said...

I *think* that's Buck tag and number which is the first rotation number.

Could certainly be wrong.