Sunday, November 20, 2011

My Day for Things to Go Wrong!

What a horrible day!

The day started off simpy enough with me installing the parking brake lever.  There is a pin which is inserted into the portion you pull to hold it onto the braket.  I installed the lever facing the wrong direction on accident and had a tough time switching it to be correct.

I then carried out the seat for the Mustang to go ahead and install it.  It is a bit early but I need it out of the spare bedroom since we will have visitors on Thanksgiving.  Somehow, one set of threads on the seat bolts were damaged.  It was the last bolt after I'd put a nut and rubber plug over all the others.  Go figure

I then tried to install the windshield wiper arms which are under the dash.  This is obviously a project I should have done earlier in the project.  It was near impossible and required a large number of cuss words to finish up.

I then turned my attention to the instrument cluster with my Autometer gauges.  I wired them up and then turned my attention to the oil pressure gauge.  The glass face of the gauge broke somehow but I'm not sure how.  Autometer sent me another face so I used some SuperGlue to put it on.  I did this with the others with no trouble so that I could mount them without the bezel.  This time, the SuperGlue vapors inside the gauge coated the inside of the gauge face with a white fog.

Suprisingly, Autometer sent me two gauge faces.  I decided I'd use the plexiglass one and after much trouble, I was able to get it to look decent.  I then painted and assembled the entire dash cluster.  Before I had it completely together, I heard a pop and flipped the cluster over to find another gauge face cracked.  Seems the gauge is being put under some pressure and I did not notice.  This puts me back to where I was at the beginning of the day.

I decided I'd put the cluster in the car and admire the appearance (while ingoring the new crack).  I plugged it in and turned on the key to see how the gauges lit up.  Instead of seeing them light up, I saw a little smoke come out from behind the dash.  I turned the key off and seems the black/green wire was shorting out.  I don't know why but I'm stopped today before I tear anything else up.

4 comments:

SusieQ said...

I feel your pain TX - some days the shop gods just cannot be appeased :/

Hopefully a good night's sleep will turn it all around!

rj

deo1929 said...

Wow! Did I somehow channel part of my day to you. I'm sorry if I did, but hopefully, the end result, sans the frustrations, will be worth it.

James Bondo said...

Sometime you have to walk away and try again later. Hope you have a better day!

Craig said...

Thanks for the support! I found the instrument wiring problem and it should not be hard to fix. Autometer is sending me another lens to replace the one I broke. At least these problems can be repaired without too much trouble.