Saturday, November 26, 2011

Another Day of Random Projects

Today was another day of small, random projects.

I'm expecting a call stating the engine is ready any day now.  The gaskets for assembling the motor arrived in the mail yesterday.  I stripped the oil pan and put a coat of primer on it today.  I'll want to seal up the motor with the oil pan soon after it arrives to avoid anything finding it's way into the motor.

I worked on the alternator brackets which had paint chips and bolt marks from constantly working to keep the belt from squealing.  I sanded them smooth and repainted both of the brackets.  I also worked on the bracket which is used to hold the speedometer cable to the driver frame rail and painted it as well.

I removed the underdash wiring so I could fix the damage I caused the other day.  When I wire something, I use yellow for constant, red for ignition, and black for ground.  Somehow, I managed to splice in the stock black/green wire with all the grounds from the gauges.  I suppose I did not see the green strip and this wire is a powered wire which caused the issue.  It did not cause any damage to speak of so it will be an easy fix.

When I stripped and painted the engine bay three years ago, I did not pull the engine.  I stripped and repainted everything except where the motor mounted.  With the engine out now, I'm working on those areas to finish off the job.  I did the passenger side today and will hopefully do the driver side tomorrow.

The last thing I did was put the front valence, bumper, and grill molding back on the car.  It looks strange with the black reproduction valence and other original blue painted panels.  I don't care.  I'll get to that later but for now I'd sure like to get it in running order. 

This is a picture of how the Mustang sits today in my garage.  I'm trickle charging the battery just to make sure it is charged up as it has not been used in a year.  You can make out the oil pan sitting on the top and the transmission crossmember hanging up in the background.  The radiator is on the ground by a little work bench.  I'm sure ready to get all these parts back on the car and drive around!

No comments: