Sunday, November 6, 2011

Painting the Interior Floorboards

I started off today with spraying another coat of Rust Converter under the dash.  It will take 48 hours to dry and then I plan to put on two coats of Rust Encapsulator.  I'll follow that with some Krylon Satin Black to match the floor process below.

I spent time this evening sanding down the interior portion of the floorboards.  I used 220 grit on the entire floor and then wiped everything down with mineral spirits.  I used masking tape and taped off all the seams for the application of seam sealer.  I know this might sound crazy but it sure looks better than smearing it everywhere.  The Eastwood Seam Sealer I use is like tar and you don't want to get it anywhere you don't want it to stay permanently (including your hands).

The seam sealer can be painted in 30 minutes so I did just that.  I put about three or four coats up to the top of the toe boards.  I coated everything with Krylon primer but ran low at the end.  I used some Rustoleum primer which I had laying around which was a mistake.  The few spots I sprayed with it did not adhere as well.
The paint has more sheen than I would like as it shows too many imperfections but I'm not going to beat myself up over the appearance as I'm the only one who is going to see it.  I've ordered some Dynamat Extreme for the firewall and then the carpet will be installed in about two weeks and I'll likely never think about it again.



No comments: