Saturday, March 6, 2010

Carburetor Hesistation Cured!!!

After Gary left today, I decided to try to fix the choke. I loosened the choke cap after letting the engine warm up. Unfortunately, turning it does not have the impact he described. It does not do anything to the flap.

Since I had the car warmed up, I thought I would go ahead and decrease the initial timing. I set it to about 8 or 9 degrees. The idle was at about 900 RPM so I went ahead and dropped it to about 700 RPM. I then tried to set the idle mixture screws. This time, it seemed to have a little impact. They are about 1 3/4 turn out.

I thought I would try to take it for a drive with the new timing. I really expected it to hesitate even more but it did not. In fact, I put it in gear and slowly started rolling. I floored it at 700 RPM and had nothing but tirespin. There was no hesitation. I'm glad to have it fixed.

I'm not sure exactly what fixed the problem. I'm not sure it matters.

1 comment:

James Bondo said...

Sounds like the combination of fixes fixed it. Good job!