Monday, December 29, 2014

T5 Transmission Installation - Part 1


After a long delay, I'm starting the installation of my T5 transmission.  The plan is to complete a little each day this week as I'm off work.  However, I don't expect to be driving at the end of the week as I will need to have the driveshaft shortened.

Today, I started at about 11 o'clock and completed the following:
  • Removed the front carpet
  • Removed the 3 speed shifter, boot, and bezel
  • Removed the dual exhaust H-pipe
  • Removed the shifter linkage
  • Removed the speedometer cable
  • Drained the transmission fluid
  • Removed the drive shaft
  • Removed my O2 sensor
All of that was not too difficult and took a little over an hour.  The removal of the transmission and putting the new one in place are the tricky and dangerous parts.  There are better ways to do it than the approach which I take.  However, I've removed and installed it twice in this way so I know it can be done.

My approach is to use a 2x6 piece of wood with a cutout which matches the location of the transmission.  I put this on top of a jack and jack up the bottom of the transmission.  I then remove the cross member, unbolt the transmission, and use the jack to wiggle the transmission out of the bell housing and throw out bearing.

Once the input shaft is clear of the bell housing, I start to lower the jack.  While doing this, I balance the transmission on the jack with my other hand.  Needless to say, it is a little tricky.  Once I have the jack all the way lowered, I roll the transmission off the jack and onto a creeper laying right beside it.
I don't recommend anyone use this approach but I was successful with it yet again!

With the transmission out, I went ahead and finished up the following few things before calling it a day:

  • Disconnect battery and starter
  • Remove starter
  • Remove bell housing


No comments: