Tuesday, December 30, 2014

T5 Transmission Installation - Part 2

Today, I removed the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel to find the source of an oil leak.  I always suspected it was coming from the rear seal without considering the most obvious.  When I took everything apart, it seems to be leaking from the back of the oil pan.  It could be leaking a little from the rear sides and running to the back.  I tightened the oil pan bolts despite them being fairly tight and I'll see if it helps.




The flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate were all in great shape.  I cleaned then up with brake cleaner and back in they went. 

I installed the flywheel using my existing ARP bolts (#100-2801) which Itorqued to 62 ft/lbs per ARPs instructions. The pressure plate was also installed with ARP bolts (#250-2201) and they were torqued down to 20 ft/lbs per ARPs instructions.  I put thread sealant on the flywheel bolts and high strength thread locker on the clutch bolts.

The next step was to install the CPC T5 adapter plate on my stock 6 bolt bell housing.  The plate mounts to the bell housing using four supplied bolts.  Two of the bolts have a tapered head and use existing bolt holts in the bell housing.  The other two bolts are placed through two 15/32" holes you must drill in the bell housing.

You can see in the image below, there are a total of six bolt holes in the part of the bell housing where the transmission mounts.  The outer four are used to mount the stock transmission.  The inner two on the right side are the ones which I drew.  The left side is mounted using the tapered bolts from the front.  The other two bolts are installed through the drilled holes from the inside of the bell housing and into threaded locations in the adpater plate. 


I put some medium strength thread lock on all the bolts and put the adapter plate in place.  I then mounted it under the car and then installed the starter and the battery wiring.

The last task I was going to complete was touching up  the transmission tunnel where removing the transmission left a few marks in the original paint.  I kept two cans of the Dupli-Color TR 250 black bedliner spray cans I used on the entire under carriage two years ago.  Unfortunately, I found that both of my cans are bad.  I think the material hardened in the can as I can't shake it and it will not spray.  

I calculated the speedometer gear I need and checked the ones I've accumulated.  Unfortunately, I needed a 17 tooth and did not have one.  I ordered it from CJ Pony parts and used some accumulated 'frequent buyer' points to get $7 off the order.  This allowed me to order it and have it shipped to my door for $5.

I'll call it a day for today.

No comments: