Monday, October 4, 2010

Driver Floorpan Removal

I decided to go ahead and buy the bottle jacks from Harbor Freight. When I arrived, I found the 2ton versions were only $7.87 each. I purchased six, two spot weld cutters, and a few other items.

When I made it home, I put the car up on the jacks. I then started work on the driver floorpan. The front and back pans are so badly rusted they hardly exist. I don't have the subframe connector in yet but with the jacks in place is should not really matter.

I removed most of the floorboards and then realized the car was not up on the jacks any longer. It seems the jacks lose pressure within a few minutes. The car then goes back to sitting on the tires. No wonder these jacks are only $8 each, they don't work.

Regardless, I removed the seat riser and the majority of the floorboard from the driver side. I still need to clean up around the front frame rail. Things are moving along well but the project is going to take some time. I'm still trying to decide if I should do the full floor or just the sides. I'm still leaning towards the full floor as it requires less welding.


No comments: