Friday, August 12, 2011

Rear Seat Divider Project

Large projects like the replacement of the floorboard are difficult.  They challenge your motivation.  After working all day, there is never enough progress.  I've been delaying working on the floorboard because of this and the heat (over 40 days straight over 100 degrees).  However, today, I resumed work.

I'll often start with something new and small to get my interest going again.  This time the project was creating a metal seat divider.  The one in the Mustang was made from Masonite by a previous owner.  The panel was cut poorly and I felt I could do better.

The metal divider allows me to apply Dynamat to the panel and get better sound deadening.  Additionally, I read adding a piece of metal in this area helps to stiffen the chassis.  I'll search for the article and post it if I can locate it again.

Anyway, I purchased a piece of 16 gauge metal cut to 38" by 17" for $19.05.  I made a carboard template to make sure no mistakes were made when I cut the metal panel.  I designed the shape to completely cover the opening between the rear seat and trunk.

Once the panel was cut, I drilled a few holes for 1/4" bolts to mount the panel in place.  I then painted the panel and installed it in the car.  I'll apply Dynamat to the panel and the floor once the floorboard installation is complete. 

3 comments:

James Bondo said...

Adding the extra metal makes sense. Good job!

LeLu said...

Great idea! I'll have to try that as well when I start working on the interior. Nice cutting.

Craig said...

Thanks for the comments.

I mentioned a post which discussed how adding a panel such as the one I did impacts the rigidity of the Mustang. The posting can be found at the following web address:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/723029-torsional-rigidity-test-67-coupe.html