Sunday, September 25, 2011

Strange Suspension Sound Fixed!

Since the front suspension rebuild, I would hear a loud thud noise when I hit a bump on the driver side.  It was somthing I mainly heard when driving down a rough road near my house at about 30-35 MPH.

I went through the driver side suspension numerous times trying to locate the cause.  I checked all the bolts, checked clearance, and made sure I was not hitting the bumpstop.  The solution or cause of the problem always seemed to elude me until today (yesterday actually).

Look at the engine mounts connected to the engine block in the following two pictures:



You will notice part of the mount is missing on the driver side.  It was impossible to tell the mount was damaged until I removed the engine.  The mount is comprised of a metal bracket on top and one on the bottom.  The two pieces are connected by molded rubber.  The rubber separated from the top piece of metal but with the engine weight on the mount, everything looked fine.

It seems the noise I would hear when hitting a bump was actually the engine bouncing on the mount.  Who would have thought that would be the solution to what seemed to be a suspension problem.

No comments: