Saturday, September 24, 2011

Engine Removal

This morning, I started the various tasks needed to remove the engine.  The task was easier as I've already removed the transmission, throttle assembly, exhaust, and z-bar setup.  

I started by draining all the coolant from the radiator.  I then removed the radiator, alternator, export brace, starter, valve covers, and hood.  I purchased a plate which attached is place of the carburetor for lifting out the motor.  I went ahead and removed the carburetor and installed the lift plate



I rented a 1500 lb engine crane from RedTail Equipment.  I then purchased a 1000 lb engine stand from Harbor Freight.  I covered the sides of the engine bay, front radiator support, and drapped a towel down the back side of the motor so it would not scrap the firewall.  I then attached the crane, removed the engine mount bolts, and started pulling the motor.

The motor came out with relative easy.  It is a little alarming at first to pull the motor and realize the entire weight is on the crane.  Its one of those moments you can see the engine just crashing down into the car and damaging everything.  Fortunately, that did not happen.  I pulled the engine without a single scratch to the engine compartment.

Once the engine was mounted on the engine stand, I started cleaning up the garage.  Coolant drained out onto the floor and created quite a mess.  I'd rolled the Mustang almost out of the garage to get enought space for the crane.  Once I cleaned the floor up, I rolled the Mustang back forward so the garage door could close again.

It is rather difficult to have an engine on a stand in your garage and not start thinking about putting in a new cam or other performance parts.  I just need to focus on finishing up what I need to do on the floorpan.  I'll save doing anything on the engine until the very end. 




More on this later.... I found the following in the engine compartment and I'm trying to decide if it is a valve stem seal or something else.

1 comment:

Papa Sheep said...

I don't think that's a valve seat - it actually looks like it is plastic, perhaps part of a broken distributor cap or something similar? Where did you find it?