Monday, March 5, 2012

Installation of Wide Band Air/Fuel Gauge

The AutoMeter Sport Comp wide band air/fuel gauge (ATM-3370) I ordered arrived from Summit last Thursday.  At first glace, I didn't believe the gauge was 2 1/16" diameter.  I've grown so accustom to the 2 5/8" gauges in my cluster it just seemed way too small.  However, it looks nice, matches all the others, came with a O2 sensor, all required wiring, and a bung to weld into the exhaust. 

I welded in the exhaust bung into the passenger side collector last night.  I'm still using the exhaust I put together with some 45 degree bends I purchased at a local auto parts place.  I plan to replace it in the future and route the exhaust a little better.  However, for now, it is working fine (except the parking brake doesn't work) and provides almost as much ground clearance as possible.


I thought I'd need to buy a bracket for the gauge as one was not supplied but I found one in my spare parts stash.  I installed the gauge using some existing screw holes in the bottom of the dash.  I then connected all the wiring needed for the gauge to operate.  I temporarily tied up the wiring under the dash as I've not decided if I'm going to leave it in or just use it for tuning and then remove the gauge.


It is getting late so I did not want to spend too much time tuning the car tonight.  I did start up the car to check the gauge as it requires at least 12.5v (a running engine) to show any signs of operation.  After a few minutes of driving, the choke shut off and the car was idling at 900 RPM.  The a/f ratio was only 10:1 which is rather rich. 

I shut off the engine as I did not want to get sucked into working on it as I would not stop and the neighbors would all be cussing me for running the car late (it is a little loud).  I might drive it to work tomorrow or I'll just wait to this weekend to do some more testing.  Until then, I need to research tuning a car by a wide band gauge.

1 comment:

CGS Motorsports said...

It looks nice. Your car is really amazing!