Thursday, March 1, 2012

Performance Test - Before Tuning

I ordered an AutoMeter Sport Comp A/F guage kit (ATM-3370) and a high torque starter a few days ago.  Before fine tuning the carburetor, I though I'd get a baseline run with my Passport Performance Meter. 

The results are much slower than I expected.  I was not going to run up to a 1/4 mile.  Instead, I decided to just focus on 1/8 mile measurements.  I could then just pull out onto a local highway which is rarely used, get centered in the lane, and then accelerate and test it without really breaking any speed limits. 

These are the results:
0-60           7.35 seconds (1 second better than before)
60'              2.53 seconds (.42 seconds faster than before)
1/8 ET      10.25 seconds (.65 seconds faster than before)
1/8 MPH  67.8 (2.4 seconds slower than before)

For the money I've put in the  motor, this is simply pitiful. Granted, I took off and loss traction big time.  I know my air/fuel mixtures are off and my timing is not right.  I guess I'll get to experiment and find out exactly how much those type changes can help.  I might get another test in first just to see if these results can be duplicated.

No comments: