Monday, February 20, 2012

Daily Driving the Mustang

We have had an incredible amount of rain over the past couple of weeks.  I don't drive the Mustang in the rain so I've just been waiting for decent weather .  This week, our temperatures are in the upper 60's and there is no chance of rain.  I decided I'd go ahead and drive the Mustang a few days this week.

While driving on Monday morning, I noticed a rattle sound coming from the underside of the car.  The sound seems to be coming either the clutch linkage or the parking brake.  The noise is most noticable in second or third gear when I'm below 3,000 RPM.  After that point, I don't hear it.  It could be argued that the exhaust is too loud but I should be able to hear it at low RPM in 3rd gear but I can't.

I stopped at the grocery store after work and the car would not start when it was time to leave.  The engine was warm and from what I gather, this could be a result of the warm engine and high initial timing.  The engine would turn over but give no indication of trying to start.  After turning it over for a little while, the car started and I had no other troubles.

The shifter is starting to make a rattle noise again after rebuilding it not all that long ago.  I'll need to pull back the carpet to check it out and find out why.

I've a slight hesitation when I'm in 3rd gear, let the RPM drop to 1,500, and then take off.  I'm a little concerned about my air/fuel mixture.  I'm going to work on selling a few old parts to buy an AutoMeter A/F gauge so I can do some additional tuning.

The speedometer is not correct.  It seems to be a little on the low side.  I'll have to test it by driving alongside my wife at a few different speeds to see how much it is off.  I believe I have the correct gear.

I drove the car Monday through Wendesday of this week and managed to put about 130 miles on the car.

No comments: