Monday, February 18, 2013

Cleaning and Disassembly of T5 Transmission

I worked a little each night this past week to disassemble the transmission.  I checked each of the gears as I disassembled the transmission.  Only the reverse gear had much wear.  However, there was a fair amount of fine metal particles stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the transmission case.

The main case, tailshaft, and top cover are empty and completely clean.  I've not cleaned the gear clusters.  I left the gear clusters assembled and wrapped in plastic bags.  I'll clean the gears as I disassemble the clusters for the rebuild process.  This will keep the arrangement of components fresh on my mind for reassembly. 


I don't have enough money saved up to rebuild and install the transmission.  My focus for now will be on rebuilding the transmission.  While I don't have much money for the entire project, I don't want to try to get by with a cheap rebuild kit or by not replacing items which obviously need to be replaced.

This morning, I purchased a steel front bearing retainer (Ford Racing M-7050-A) and a rebuild kit (Ford Racing M-7000-A).  I also purchased a new Tremec reverse gear (Tremec 1352-584-008).  These should be all the items I need to complete the rebuild of the transmission and seal it off until I can afford the parts to mount it into the Mustang.


If all of the parts arrive this week, I'll start the rebuild of the transmission this weekend.  There are numerous bearings which need to be pressed into place.  I don't have a press so I'll either buy one or find a shop to do the job for me.  This is the main task which might cause the rebuild to drag out beyond this one weekend.

I'll be using the T5 bellhousing to install the transmission.  I'll need to save up for a block plate, new fulcrum, transmission crossmember, and a new driveshaft yoke.  While I have the original shifter, I really want to purchase a new one with shift stops.  I'm hoping to find one used which is in good condition so I'm not spending $150-$200 on a shifter. 

2 comments:

A. Olshove said...

Can't wait to see the rest of your T5 rebuild!

deo1929 said...

I found out by word of mouth and then verified that the yoke on my C4 transmission fit in the T5. I'll need to shorten my drive shaft tho'.

I got my bell housing and clutch linkage pieces on eBay for $80. So you may want to check that and Craigslist as well. Looking forward to the rebuild posts.