Sunday, February 10, 2013

New T5 Transmission & Bellhousing

I found a listing for a T5 transmission and bellhousing on Craigslist this week.  I started exchanging emails with the owner and ended up buying it this evening.  I purchased the transmission, bellhousing, and Energy Suspension mount for $300.


The transmission has the original tag showing the number 13-52-199.  This indicates the transmission was original to a '91 5.0 Mustang.  The transmission is rated at 300 ft/lbs and has the following gear ratios:
1 - 3.35
2 - 1.99
3 - 1.33
4 - 1.00
5 - 0.68



This is compared to the current ratios in my 3 speed toploader:
1 - 2.99
2 - 1.75
3 - 1.00

I started taking apart the transmission tonight to look at the gears.  I don't see any problems with the gears.  The fluid had already been drained.  What was left in the bottom does seem to have some very small metal particles but they are so small they could be from normal wear.

I don't have much money to work on rebuilding the internals but I'm going to go ahead and clean everything up to rebuild it when the funds are available. 

No comments: