Sunday, February 3, 2013

Waking from Hibernation

The temperature this weekend reach the 70's.  I've not drive the Mustang in a couple of months and decided this weekend was the perfect time.

I went and got it inspected as the inspection expired at the end of January.  I did not check anything before going which was likely not smart as things have a tendancy to stop working when you least expect it.  However, I did not have any issues with the inspection.  Two of the three guys working at the inspection station were taking pictures of my motor which was nice but strange at the same time.

After driving around a while, I reached 500 miles since engine break-in.  I changed the oil using another 5 quarts of Brad Penn 10w30.  I used a Wix filter this time but I purchased a few Fram filters not long ago on a buy one get one free program.  I don't think the Fram is as good of quality as the Wix filters so I might change once I run out of the Fram's I purchased.

I'm still having a little trouble with my air/fuel mixture.  The Holley 570 came with size 54 front jets.  I'm currently running size 58's in the front.  However, I still seem to be running a little lean when just cruising (15.0 a/f).  I expected the previous few jet changes to make the difference but I guess not.  If this does not have a meaningful change, I'm honestly tempted to junk this carburetor and buy a new one.

I've not been updating lately as I'm at the point that I'm tempted to start the bodywork.  I don't really have the money for paint and body work so I'm at a tought spot.  I purchased a 60 gallon air compressor which can run a paint gun back in November.  I'm tempted to try to paint the Mustang myself in the future but we will just have to wait and see.

No comments: