Sunday, April 9, 2023

HRPT Prep 12 -Transmission & Hydraulic Clutch Completion

I'm falling a bit behind on the projects I'd like to complete for Hot Rod Power Tour.  I'm not sure if the Holley EFI I ordered will actually arrive in time or not.  When I ordered, the estimated delivery date was on 04/14/23 and that still shows if I look at my order.  However, if you look at the part on their site today, the current delivery date has been pushed out to 06/15/23.  Even without the EFI system, I've got plenty to do.

Yesterday, I bled all the brakes again with the assistance of my son.  This was necessary due to replacing the brake lines from the master cylinder to the combination valve.  I've run a total of 32 oz of DOT4 through this system between bleeding it today and when I installed the master cylinder.  The brake fluid comes out crystal clear so I expect I'm completely filled with new DOT4.  Plenty of air bubbles came out of the first rear brake I bled but almost no air came out of the front brakes.  I'm hopeful this improves the pedal is it has felt slightly soft since installing the Willwood master cylinder. 

With the brakes bled, I started work on bleeding the new clutch system.  All the paperwork indicates you should use DOT 3 brake fluid but I imagine you could use DOT4.  With all the brake bleeding, I was low on DOT 4 so I purchased some Prestone DOT 3.  The bleeding process is interesting as you essentially use a large syringe filled with brake fluid to force fluid through the system with the bleed open at the bottom.  I had to do that two times to have any pedal pressure.  

The last thing I did was start the car and drive forward and backward in the garage.  I just wanted to ensure the clutch and brakes were working before stopped for the day.  I then checked everything for leaks and found none.  

Today, I went on the first drive and everything works well.  I found a small leak from the clutch reservoir and found the transmission did not shift into 2nd or 4th due to the positive stops being set wrong on the shifter.  Once those were corrected, I did not notice anything else except the clutch only releases at almost full pedal release and the brakes still seem a little soft.  

After driving, I planned to pump the gear oil out of the rear axle.  However, the area inside is so tight it isn't possible to even slide in a tube to pump it out.  The gear oil is at the top of the drain hole so I think I'll leave it alone.  I changed it when putting in the near 3.80 gears and the TrueTrac would have broken in at that point.  That was really somewhat overkill but I thought it was worth it if I could do it without too much trouble.  

At this point, I cleared the following from my list:
  • Rear Brake & Suspension Check
  • Front Brake & Suspension Check
  • Front Passenger Ball Joint Replacement
  • Bleed Master Cylinder & Brakes
  • Hydraulic Clutch Installation
  • Fix Exhaust Leaks
However, I have the following left:
  • Finish Clutch Cover
  • Fix Oil Leaks & Change Oil
  • Cooling System Upgrades
  • Fix Cooling System Leaks
  • LED Light Upgrade
  • Air Conditioner Check
  • Fix Windshield Leak
  • EFI System Install

No comments: