Sunday, April 23, 2023

HRPT Prep 15 - Cooling System Upgrade & Leaks (Part 2)

I'm losing a bit of my enthusiasm for this particular project and the prep process in general.  I've been working a bit each evening but it is a really small amount.  Over the course of this week and a couple hours this weekend, I was able to accomplish a few good items but I'm really only to the point of reassembly.

Since my last post, I drained the oil, removed the oil pan, and then removed the timing cover.  Unfortunately, I ripped the oil pan gasket due to RTV at the corners of the timing cover so I ordered a new Fel Pro OS13260T gasket on Amazon.  While I was at it, I ordered a new Gates 20338 bypass heater hose as the old one was a FoMoCo reproduction and was a bit thin.

I used paint stripper to clean all the old paint and primer from the timing cover.  I used a few little Dremel wire wheels to get in all the small corners.  I then coated it with some Duplicolor DP1612 engine paint and then DP1606 Ford Blue.  I taped off the gasket surface out of an abundance of caution.  After letting it dry, I installed the fuel pump block off plate with a new Fel Pro seal and a light coat of Permatex Ultra Black RTV.  I also had a Fel Pro crank seal so I removed the old one and installed the new one with a very light coat of the same Black RTV on the outer ring of the seal.  

I ordered a FlowCooler high flow aluminum water pump (Part # 1681) that should help a bit with cooling.  I put a coated of Duplicolor DP1612 engine primer and then DP1606 Ford Blue paint on the pump and the exterior side of the backing plate.  I don't have Fel Pro gaskets on hand for the water pump but it came with a set.  I'll have to decide what I want to do with that part.  I also did not paint the gasket surfaces on the water pump out of an abundance of caution.



I cleaned up the thermostat mounting surface on the intake really well and then ran a 5/16" tap completely to the bottom of both holes.  I've cleaned up the thermostat housing so that it looks like new.  I used from Permatex (#22071) water pump RTV to lightly seal the thermostat into the housing.  I'm letting it dry overnight and then have a Mr Gasket 737G aluminum and silicone seal gasket that I plan to use.  I'm not convinced it is a the best option and it certainly wasn't cheap ($25).  However, I've used Fel Pro gaskets on three different occasions, and it has leaked every time despite new intakes and thermostat housings.


I then cleaned all the timing cover mounting surfaces on the engine block with a razor blade, paint thinner, and a small Dremel wire wheel.  I'll need to do some touch up paint on the block where it is discolored from anit-freeze but I'll need to do that a little later.  

I purchased a Professional Products engine damper to replace the one in the car which is the exact same model (Part# PFS-80006) as the old one was rather rusty.  

Somewhat as a tangent, I've been wanting to replace the cheap air box drain that came with the Classic Auto Air system.  What I found is a GM 15-34717 and I took a chance on it for $5 and it fit just fine.  It is much better than the last which was just clear plastic tube that you had to basically fold to form a 90 degree angle.  Once I put it into place, I put the sealing gunk back around the tube as it entered the firewall.



This is where I am at the moment.  Hopefully I get a bit more enthusiasm to finish this up.  Right now, I'm more interested in doing just about anything else.  To get this finished up, I need to...
  • Mount the thermostat with Mr Gasket seal
  • Install the timing cover with Fel Pro gasket
  • Install the water pump with ??? gasket
  • Install alternator and A/C brackets on water pump
  • Install damper, crank pulley, and water pump pulley
  • Reinstall fan shroud and electric fan (temp sensor)
  • Fix wiring for the fan that was cut to remove the shroud
  • Reinstall the various hoses for the cooling system
  • Straighten and repaint the oil pan
  • Reinstall oil pan with new Fel Pro gasket
  • Reinstall valve covers
  • Add oil, swap oil filter, and add coolant

No comments: