Friday, January 2, 2015

Disappointment with Local "Expert" Help

I rarely seek outside help with the Mustang as I normally find myself disappointed with outside help.  Today was another example of that situation.

Two years ago, I took the Mustang to have someone build some exhaust down pipes bent to connect my headers to my exhaust.  Clarence's Discount Muffler did the work for me and I was a little disappointed with the outcome.  My disappointment then was primarily with the tight crimp bends in the pipe which no doubt cuts down on the benefit of purchasing a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust.


Today, however, I took everything off for the first time.  The welds are not anything better than I could do myself.  In fact, there is one spot around the driver side collector where there are two areas which were not welded.  As a result, the holes have been spewing hot exhaust straight at the driver floorboard.





To make matters worse, I looked down the collector on the passenger side and it is at least 20% closed due to the way it was fitted.  This no doubt impacts the exhaust performance even worst than the crappy bends in the pipe.  I doubt it could impact the O2 sensor readings but I don't know.  I don't know how anyone can do a job like this and at the end of the day felt they did a good job.




I ended up using a die grinder and several of the grinding stones I have to take off as much as possible without compromising the welds.  It should flow much better now but is not ideal.  In the picture below, you can see parts of the metal I cut off in the pipe and little pieces all around the outside of the pipe.  I shook the pipe out well and blew it out with the air compressor before installing.



 At this point, in my area, I'm not happy with Clarence Discount Muffler or Pilger Tire.  On the other hand, BVD Driveshafts did a good job with my driveshaft so I'll recommend them in the future. 

No comments: