Thursday, January 1, 2015

T5 Transmission Installation - Part 4

Since today is New Years, I'm not working on the transmission installation much.  However, I did take care of a few small items.

First, I worked on the shifter some to ensure there would not be any clearance issues.  The aluminum body of the shifter is at least 1/4" thick.  I decided to take an 1/8" off a section of the side which is most likely to come into contact with the shifter hole.  While I centered up the transmission already, it is still a little closer to passenger side than the driver side and I view it as cheap insurance.



I then turned my attention to the Modern Driveline cross member.  It took a fair amount of test fitting and bending the ears to get it to fit properly.  It is made out of some fairly thick metal which is hard to bend.  I tried not to scratch off the powder coat much and was successful except for one area where it chipped off.  At least the part that chipped off is on the top and can't be seen when installed.

The last thing for the day was that I picked a can of Duplicolor TR250 from NAPA.  I used it to fix a few chips on the undercarriage from removing and then installing the new transmission.  The undercoating matched the original coat and looks good. 

I'm going to try to tackle most of the remaining tasks tomorrow.

No comments: