Sunday, January 18, 2015

Testing the Transmission

I drove the Mustang around a total of about 25 miles today.  I drove it at highway speeds and took some back roads where I was able to go through all the gears a few times.  I did not really test it hard but took it to 5,000 RPM a few times to make sure there were no issues.

The car sounds different now and it makes me think something is wrong when I think everything is fine.  The shifter is like butter which is strange as it almost felt like I was pushing it into gear before.  Now, it gently slides into position and is so smooth I almost don't think it is in gear. 

When I drive around, I have to remind myself of the additional gears I have at times.  I'm used to driving the car with the engine at 2,500 RPM.  When I'm driving at 75mph, the engine is only a little above 2,000 RPM.  After the first drive, my first thought was I need some bigger rear gears.

I need to work on a way to close off the shifter openning around my shifter.  I also need to come up with a shift boot as the stock one will not work and bolt into place.  I'm not sure if I'll use some form of aftermarket shift boot or if I'll build a console with a couple of cup holders. 

I'll work on the console some this coming weekend.

(I'm a little delayed with this post.  After driving the Mustang, I came in and knocked my laptop off the table by my chair while it was on.  A new hard drive and a few hours of pain now back have it functional.)

No comments: