Thursday, April 9, 2009

Transmission Fluid Leak - Bad Rear Seal

I drove the Mustang to take Aaron to school and to work. The Mustang seemed to drive better with the new transmission fluid. I was only able to reach 60 mph briefly but the vibration seemed to be reduced.

I went out to the Mustang after work and noticed a small amount of fluid under the car. I was a little suprised but moved on since I knew the shifter seals were leaking. It just seemed they were leaking more than I expected.

I drove to Aaron's school (about 2 miles) and when I go out I could smell transmission fluid. When we returned to the car, Aaron mentioned he could smell it to. We drove the 5 miles home and into the garage. When we got out at home the smell of transmission fluid was very strong and I could see were it dripped out all the way up the driveway.

After changing clothes, I checked the car and found transmission fluid all on the exhaust, mufflers, and rear axle. The fluid seems to be leaking from the rear seal of the transmission.

I called around and found NAPA had the seal in stock. I picked up the seal and two quarts of NAPA 70W90 GL-4 gear oil for the transmission. I started work on the problem and removed the driveshaft but can't get the rear seal out of the transmission.

No comments: