Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Check/Refill Transmission Fluid

Tonight, I decided I would spend a little time out in the garage.
The underside of the car is covered in dried transmission fluid. I noticed it when I purchased the car but the only small area of wet transmission fluid. This fluid appears to be a slow leak from two of the shifter seals on the driver side. I've looked into repairing these but learned they must be repaired by replacing O rings from the inside of the transmisison. When I replace the floorboards in the Mustang, I'll pull the transmission to take care of these seals.
I decided to go ahead and check the transmission fluid. I pulled the fill plug and stuck my finger in but could not feel any fluid. Since I have an almost full quart of Amsoil 75w90, I decided I would go ahead and fill the transmission.
The job was a little messy but most of the bottle ended up in the transmission. I checked again afterwards but I still don't think the transmission is full. The transmission only holds 1.5 quarts and I put in about half that much. I stopped for the night and plan to buy some more transmission fluid another day.

No comments: