Saturday, May 2, 2009

New Sway Bar End Links

I've driven the Mustang 150 miles since restoring the front end. Over the last week, I started to notice a strange feeling when going over bumps. There was also a slight noise I could hear after going over a bump.

I knew without checking it was the sway bar end links. I pieced together a set with the center bolt and nut from one set and rubber bushings and sleeve from another. I pieced them together to make them shorter and to reuse the new rubber bushings which I installed early last year. Unfortunately, they are still a little too long but I was hesistating on buying a new set.

I checked earlier this week and found the rubber bushings were starting to setting into the swaybar. This caused the end link to be loose. I tried to tighten the nut but ran out of threads on the bolt. Rather than continue working with these, I decided to go ahead and buy a good set which were shorter.

I purchased some Engery Suspension end links (#9.8122G) with a 1" sleeve and polyurethane bushings. The sleeves are a 1/2" shorter than the current version. I drove around the block after replacing them and it is an incredible difference. The 1 1/8" sway bar must be too much for rubber bushings. The suspension now feels much more predictable. I should have just replaced them with everything else but was starting to feel a little 'sticker shock' from the cost of this phase of the restoration.

No comments: