Sunday, February 14, 2010

Odometer Ticking Noise

While driving around last weekend, the speedometer suddenly started making a loud ticking noise. The frequency of the noise increased with my speed. However, the speedometer continued to work and did not jump or change when the noise occurred. I was not sure of the cause and since it was already Sunday, I just parked it.

I noticed the noise again this weekend. After driving around a while, I noticed the odometer was no longer working. Tonight, I took out the speedometer to determine the cause. I spun the speedometer by hand and was able to get it to make the click noise. I'm still not sure of the cause.

More than a year ago, I purchased a '67 instrument as the one currently in the Mustang is from a '68. I took out the '67 speedometer, set the odometer to the correct number, and installed it in the Mustang.

A cold front came in today and it is late so I don't want to start up the Mustang to make sure it works. I'll do it in the next few days. I'm sure this will fix it as long as there are no problems with this untested speedometer.

02/20/10 Edit: I had a chance to drive the Mustang this week and the speedometer problem is fixed.

No comments: