Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hood Support Restoration

I started restoring the hood support about a year ago. I basted the majority of it in my father's media cabinet but ran short on time and could not finish the job. I expected to finish it up in a few weeks so I put a little grey primer on it and reinstalled it on the car. I just made it back to this project this weekend.

I finished blasting the hood support on Saturday night. I primered it this morning and painted it with the Krylon 1613 paint. I placed the hood striker in a bowl of phosphoric acid. After a couple of hours, I pulled it out, hit it with some steel wool, and then installed it. I already had new concours correct SEMS bolts to put it all back together.

The project did not take long but makes the engine compartment look much better. In the picture below, you can see a place where the paint is chipped. This is where the safety latch for the hood slides along the support brace and secures the hood in place.

No comments: