Saturday, October 22, 2011

Final Undercarriage Preparation

I spent today preparing the underside of the new floorboard for paint.  There were a large number of small things I needed to take care of which caused the task to take much longer than I expected. 

I started off at the rear of the floorboard by preping the rear floorboard seam and torque boxes.   I then sanded the underside of the entire floorbard with 220 grit sand paper.  The next step was to seam seal each of the points where two factory panels overlapped.  Once that was done, I sprayed the entire underside with a coat of Eastood's Rust Encapsulator.

The Rust Encapsulator is going to be dry and ready for a top coat in the morning.  I've six cans of some bed liner I've chosen to use on the underside of the Mustang.  The bed liner is much thinner than most and does not have as much texture.  I used it on the outer front fenderwells a few years back and it has held up well. 

I really wanted to use something other than spray cans.  However, I'd need to buy an air compressor and find a way to raise the Mustang high enough to get a paint gun under the car.  Additionally, I'd need to learn how to use a spray gun which might take a little while.  Since the spray can version I used before held up well, I decided to use it so this project does not drag longer.

While what I did this weekend can be summarized in one paragraph, it was a lot of work.  I should  be able to paint the underside of the undercarriage tomorrow.  This will then leave me with the followings items to finish up:

- Strip Underside of Dash
- Repair Cowl Hats
- Strip and Paint Front of Dash
- Install Sound Deadening
- Install Firewall Pad
- Install Dash Wiring
- Connect Electric Fan
- Install Pedal Assembly
- Install Clutch & Throttle Linkage
- Install Gauge Cluster
- Install Steering Column and Wheel
- Repaint Throttle Linkage

- Install Engine Mounts
- Reinstall Engine
- Install Transmission
- Install Driveshaft
- Install Exhaust
- Install Parking Brake
- Install Gas Line
- Install Interior

No comments: