Sunday, October 16, 2011

Toe Board Underside Clean-Up

I removed the engine to replace a bad motor mount and to reach the underside of the toe boards I welded into place earlier this year.  This weekend, I climbed into the engine compartment and worked on the underside of the toe boards.

There were a few spots where I did not have great weld penetration.  I welded the bottom side of these welds to make sure everything was solid.  I then ground down the welds and put a little filler to fix the small imperfections.  Most would consider this overkill but I know I'll be disappointed later if I don't do the best job I can while I have it apart.

Once the filler was dry, I sanded it down and top coated it with two coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.  I'll wait to prep the rest of the undercarriage for paint before doing anything further with the toe boards.

I took care of a few small projects while waiting for the paint to dry.  I stripped the driver side torque box in preparation for paint.  I welded on the passenger side brake bracket which I forgot to weld before putting the floorpan in the Mustang.  I also cut out the hole for the parking brake cable in the driver side toe board.

While it may not sound like much, this was the majority of what I was able to accomplish this weekend.

...

This is a picture of the toe boards after I put down a coat of filler.  I put down a heavier coat than needed.  I don't know how many times I have to do this and sand like mad before I realize how little is actually needed.

This is a picture immediately after I painted the bottom with Rust Encapsulator.  The paint dries somewhat fast.  The sheen is actually flat but you can see the parts which are still a little wet as they are have more sheen. 

No comments: