Saturday, September 23, 2017

New Weatherstripping for the Passenger Door

When my son and I drove to the Goodguys show back in March, he could feel a little air coming through the lower portion of the passenger door.  When you looked at the weatherstripping along the lower front portion of the door, you could actually see a little daylight.

While it would probably be better to do the job once after the car is painted, I decided to go ahead and do the weatherstripping now.  The weatherstripping itself is really inexpensive and it could still be a while before I get the car painted.  Doing the job now would make it a little better for driving around which is what I would ultimately like to begin doing.

I replaced the passenger side weather stripping today and the job was pretty easy.  I used Scott Drake weatherstripping and some some 3M Stage 2 Weatherstripping Adhesive which I picked up from the local O'Reilly's.  You put the adhesive on the door and a thin coat on the weather stripping.  Once they dry a little and get tacky, you install the weatherstripping.  Just to ensure it stayed in place, I put some masking tape on the weather stripping about every 3".

Now that the job is done and everything is dry, I can really tell the difference.  It is actually a little hard to shut the door now because the weatherstripping is so thick and stiff.  I'm sure it will break down over time and be just fine.


No comments: