Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Restoration Plan (Part 2)

My plan has always been to handle larger restoration projects during the heat of summer and during the extreme cold of winter. Without an A/C or functional heater, I would not be driving the car at these times and would not miss out on driving around.

When I first planned this portion of the project, I intended to reuse the drum brakes and just replace the main suspension components. After I found the deal on the suspension and disc brakes, it now makes more sense to complete both projects now. The new spindles require new outer tie rods which make updating the steering components a logic step as I would minimize alignment cost by doing all the work at the same time.

With these thoughts, it is becoming clear this project will take longer than I expected. I hoped to have the car ready to drive by late September or early October. Since this is not possible with my original deadline, I will shift my focus to completing this project by January 8th. This will be the one year anniversary of the Mustang purchase. This will give me time to complete the project properly.

Part of the brake replacement involves switching the master cylinder and brake lines which run along the firewall. The new deadline allows me to strip and paint the upper portion of the firewall before installing these new components. I'll also remove the accessories from the block and paint it just to clean the engine bay up a little more. It will not be a complete repaint as the motor will eventually be removed, rebuilt, and repainted completely.

No comments: