Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Suspension Component Painting

I'm attempting to perform a little work on the Mustang each night. This week, I was able to accomplish the following:

Monday - Sanded & Painted Shock Tower Caps
Tuesday - Painted Upper Control Arms & Roller Spring Perches
Wednesday - Sanded & Painted Engine Crossmember
Thursday - Second Coat on Engine Crossmember
Friday - Sanded and Painted Lower Control Arms

Some of the items painted are the suspension items I recently purchased. While it is clear they were never used, the previous owner seemed to just have them laying around his shop for a while. They were a little scratched and some had a light dusting of yellow overspray. I figured I would paint them because the details count and I'm a little OCD.

The engine compartment is being painted with Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat Black as it is known as the closest match to the factory finish. I used this paint on the shock tower caps.

The suspension components are all being painted with Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black. I chose to use this paint on the suspension as is more resistant to chips. The only difficult part about the paint is it takes 72 hours to completely harden and requires 24 hours before recoating.


No comments: