Saturday, September 27, 2008

The A/C Mystery

The air conditioning installed in my Mustang is a bit of a mystery. The car was not originally equipped with an A/C. At some point, someone installed an A/C system but I'm not sure where all of it was sourced.

The person who installed the A/C, took the dash pieces from a 1968 Mustang to get all the dash vents. The A/C box appears to be original to a Mustang along with the blower assembly. The fan is a 6 blade fan but I'm not sure it is a Ford piece. The condensor installed is definately not a Ford piece but there are no identifying marks. The crank pulley for the A/C belt has AMCE on it so it is no doubt an aftermarket piece.

I've not decided what to do with these pieces. Once I decide to install A/C, I don't plan to make it look original as it did not original come on my vehicle. Additionally, original components are expensive and do not perform like the complete kits currently available. I might choose to sell some of these items on eBay to help offset the cost of an A/C system in the future.

Here are a few pictures of the A/C items I've taken off the car:


No comments: