Monday, September 1, 2008

Restoring Wiring Harness

I restored the wiring harness I removed from the engine compartment today. I cleaned all the plugs and wiring with a Scotchbrite pad and Fantastic cleaner. A special tape is then used to duplicate the factory appearance. The tape is similar to electrical tape except there is no adhesive. Regular electrical tapes is the used at the ends of this special tape (friction tape) to ensure it does not come undone.

There were two damaged wires which needed repair. The main feed from the alternator to the battery broken in two with little to no pressure. Additionally, the voltage regulator feed wire was almost entirely broken in half. If I had not gone througth the wiring, either of these could have left me stranded on the side of the road. They would both also be difficult to locate. Since I have a soldering iron these were easy fixes.

No comments: