Friday, October 30, 2009

Transmission Cleaning

I've spent a little time each of the past few nights working to clean up the transmission. While I knew it was incredibly dirty, it is taking longer to clean it up than I expected.



Once I cleaned the main case, I removed the top plate and tailhousing. I cleaned these up in the large sink in my utility room. The tail housing cleaned up well but the top plate has a significant amount of rust on the top.

With the top plate off, I was able to inspect the gears. Althought it shifted fine, I was concerned I would find chipped or missing teeth. I was glad to find everything looked good on the inside. The only thing I noticed is the inside of the case and tailhousing have what appears to be baked on gear oil. I'm not sure how I would get this off without coating the gearset with grease cleaner or water.


I've been reading about the steps involved in rebuilding a toploader. It does not seem to be very difficult. However, I'm sure it is harder than it appears.

No comments: