Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Next Project Begins... Transmission Repairs

I decided today would be a good day to start the next phase of my Mustang restoration. I drove around alittle this morning then went to Sears to get a second set of jack stands. Around 1 o'clock, I jacked up the car to begin removing my transmission.



The transmission has leaked fluid from the shift seals since I purchased the car. The entire undercarriage and transmission is covered with transmission fluid. The fluid then runs back towards the rear axle causing an even larger mess.
I started by jacking up the car to provide 13" of clearance between the frame rails and the floor. I then removed the shifter, drive shaft, rear parking brake lines, and drained the transmission.

I placed a small bottle jack under the back of the motor to hold it steady while the transmission is out. I then placed another jack under the transmission. I jacked the transmission up enough to take the bolts out of the transmission crossmember. I then reached a temporary stopping point as I can't remove the crossmember because of the exhaust. Unfortunately, the exhaust is welded solid (headers all the way to the tailpipes).


After thinking about it a little bit, I decided to just cut the exhaust pipe. I can find a piece to slide over the ends and put clamps on it to hold it. The exhaust is obviously horrible so it will need to be replaced at some point anyway. I was thinking of cutting if out to do the rear axle clean up anyway.
With the exhaust out of the way, I was able to remove the crossmember. There is nothing stopping me from removing the transmission now. I even have the bolts which hold it to the bellhousing loose. I just need to determine the best way to get it out. I think I will lower it with a jack and then roll it on to a creeper to pull it out from under the car.

No comments: