Monday, October 26, 2009

The Transmission is Out!

After putting the kids to bed, I could not resist going to the garage to work on the car a little longer. Around 10:30, I walked into the house with a transmission laying on the garage floor.

I worked on it for a while but could not slide the transmission back enough for the input shaft to clear the bellhousing. The shifter mechanism was stuck through the hole in the floorboard and the transmission would not drop low enough for it to clear. I then fould the final bolt to remove the shifter mechanism under a large amount of grease.

With the shifter mechanism out, I was able to move the transmission back enough. While sweating bullets about the weight of the transmission, I carefully lowered it an inch at a time. Once all the way down, I rolled it onto a creeper and pulled it out from under the Mustang.



After work today, I cleaned up the garage and my tools. I moved the transmission to the low traffic side of the garage and then put a piece of cardboard under the car so I would not make much of a mess removing the bellhousing.

I weighed the transmission out of curiousity and it weights 78 lbs.

No comments: