Monday, August 23, 2010

Interior Parts Order - Shopping Therapy

I'm not one to go shopping to feel better but today was the exception.

I've been wanting a new steering wheel for the Mustang since I purchased the car. The steering wheel I'm currently using is the stock wheel which is cracked, large, and looks horrible. I passed time on Saturday looking at steering wheels on the Summit Racing website. A LeCarra Mark VI Elegante steering wheel caught my eye. The steering wheel looks great and is 14" which works well with my manual steering configuration.

I've also been thinking about how I'm going to handle the gauges in the Mustang. I need a better oil pressure and water temperature guage. Since I'm restoring the dash, I'd like to go ahead and decided how I want to mount these new guages. Ideally, I'd replace the two outside guages in the stock cluster. I've tried working with a cheap 2 1/16" guage I have to see if I could get it to look good in the stock bezel. Unfortunately, I've not had any luck.

I posted about it on StangFix.com and they suggested using a 2 5/8" guage. The guage could be mounted from the back or from the front. I searched Summit Racing and found two nice Pro-Sport series guages which would work well. I consdered buying one to see if I could make it fit properly but then started worrying how it would look next to the other stock guages. The lighting, guage faces, and lenses would look entirely different.

I'd love to have a 5" tachometer and speedometer. Since I was day dreaming, I decided to look at them also. I found the same Line Pro-Sport Autometer tachometer for $150. If you purchase one now, you can get a $100 rebate from AutoMeter. Additionally, Summit will give you $50 in Summit Bucks.

I was feeling down about recent events at work today and started thinking about the Mustang to brighten my day. I then decided to just go ahead and buy all of these parts. I'll test fit the guages to see if I can make them work. If it does not look good, I can always return them to Summit.

No comments: