Sunday, August 29, 2010

Underdash Wiring Removed

I spent a little over an hour today removing the underdash wiring. I documented each connector as I removed the wiring with my digital camera. After removing the harness, I reconnected the door pins, flashers, ignition switch, and headlight switch. The purpose of the various wires is easily to determine with these items connected.

I'm tempted to replace the fuse block with one produced by Painless Wiring. This aftermarket fuse block uses the newer style fuses. Additionally, it would contain three extra circuits to run the constant power for the radio and other accessories without taxing the stock system.

I'm also tempted to use the aftermarket fuse block because of some damage to the stock item. The wires which led to the back of one of the fuses were cut at the back of the fuse block. They were then wires together using an inline fuse from an auto parts store. I'm not sure yet if this is because of something wrong with the block or just ignorance of the previous owner.

In addition to the wiring, I removed the defroster vent, fresh air vent, and a few other small items. I plan to remove a few more items so that I can soon start to strip the underdash area.

I was able to check the driver side cowl and it looks in acceptable condition also. This will allow me to use the plastic replacement cowl hat on the driver side without the need to replace the entire cowl panel.

No comments: