Sunday, August 22, 2010

Beginning the Dash & Firewall Restoration

I recently purchased a new hood, driver side fender, front valance, and trunk lid from Mustang Mania in Katy, Texas. The parts were available at the price charged by other Mustang Suppliers but I could pick these up and not pay any shipping charges. This was at a considerable savings considering the size of the items and the potential for damage in shipping.

I'd like to work from the front to the back of the Mustang repairing the sheetmetal problems. I don't want to work on the hood until I'm certain no work is needed on the cowl. As a result, I've decided to start working on the firewall and undersdash restoration. Since I'll need to take all the dash panels off and wiring out, I'll be restoring the dash during this phase.

I removed the glove box and dash bezels from the Mustang this afternoon. I checked the passenger side cowl vent. The cowl hat is badly rusted. Fortunately, the rust did not extend beyond the cowl hat. A plastic replacement cowl hat is available which I should be able to use to repair this area.

I'll need to remove the fresh air vent and some wiring to inspect the driver side cowl. What I can see seems to have more rust than the passenger side. If only the hat is rusted, I'll be relieved as both can be repaired simply using the plastic replacement cowl hat kit.

No comments: