Monday, August 16, 2010

Procrastination and Planning

I've been intimidated by the metalwork needed on the Mustang since the beginning. There are several areas with rust which need attention. I have a welder but don't have the needed gas tank. Instead of purchasing the tank and practicing, I continue to focus on small projects leaving this task until the end.

I'm going to force myself to focus on the bodywork needed. The basic metal structure of the car needs to be addressed. I'll start at the front and begin working my way to the rear. I'd like to be finished with this part of the project by next Summer. If I don't set a timeline, I'm sure I will drag it out forever.

I've started considering painting the car myself. If I pay someone to paint the car, it will cost a couple of thousand dollars. I'm sure I would be very critical of all the work done. I'd be concerned about small areas which would be missed. If I did it myself, I could ensure everything is painted as I would like. However, I don't know that I could handle a metallic paint.

I'm considering painting the car a matte black color. While black is not an easy color to paint because of how it shows issues with the bodgy panels, I like the sinister but understated, minimalistic appearance. I'll obviously need to research this a great deal more before I could handle this type of project. I'd like to do this soon so I can paint parts as I move towards the back of the car.

If I go with the matte black color, I plan to remove all the stock emblems. This would have a cleaner appearance and save a little money. I keep stating how certain things are going to save money. This is partly the budget part of my mind at work. However, I need to save money as I plan to do a little more with the performance of the car than originally planned. The money I save in these areas will allow for a 347 stroker engine, a very nice set of heads, and a 5 speed transmission.

1 comment:

James Bondo said...

I think they call that type of matte black Rat Rod Black and I think Eastwood's sells it. I just had to move up to the argon gas welding because of the thin body panels. Buy the large tank if you can foot the deposit on the tank.

Keep up the great work and blog!