Thursday, May 7, 2020

New Coil Springs - Passenger Side Done

I purchased a new set of front coil springs (NPD # 5310-8) and have been waiting to install them.  As a baseline, I measured the front suspension and the height to the bottom of the fender lip was 24 1/8"

I'm replacing my current springs with the exact same style I used before which are for a big block car.  The springs are rated at 428 lbs and set the ride height at 11.5" which is a little high.  I'll be cutting some off but not a full coil like I did with the last set.  My goal is to raise the front end by about half an inch which is not much and is a little picky.  However, now that I have raised the rear, the front will look rather strange unless I raise it at least a little.

I removed the passenger side coil spring and set it next to the new one.  I oriented them the same so it was each the height of the current spring on the new one.  I then measured up on the spring to the height that the overall spring height is 5/8" taller and cut both of the new ones there.  

I installed just the passenger side spring and went for a drive around the block.  The passenger side currently sits at 25 1/8" so I gained essentially an inch.  Trouble is that I know the raised height on one side is loading the other side of the suspension some.  If I move both up equally, perhaps this side drops more or perhaps it is actually shifting weight to the back some now.  It is hard to state.  I'm debating if I leave it alone or cut a little bit more off, install the driver side, and then pull the passenger side back out to fine tune it.

Since I had the measuring tape out, I measured the back and found the passenger side is at 26" and the driver side is at 25".  This is a little bewildering.  

When I installed the 1" lowering blocks, I drove around a bit to try to get the suspension to settle.  While I was out driving, I filled up with gas which was a bit of a mistake as it changed an extra variable.  When I made it home, I found the driver side was 1/2" lower than the passenger.  The blocks are exactly the same height so I figure it is something with the spring rates being slightly different or more gas weight on that side but none of it really makes any sense.  

As I said before, one of the many joys of working on a car with parts from China.  

No comments: