Monday, July 18, 2022

Power Steering, Master Cylinder, Parking Brake, and More (Part 4)

This evening, I test fit the steering box, exhaust, and z-bar and found they don't fit together.  The z-bar will fit and work fine with just the steering box.  After making a small dimple on the exhaust, it fits fine with the steering box alone.  However, there just simply isn't space for the z-bar to fit between the steering box and the exhaust.  I'm not sure if I can make it fit so I'm struggling to find a good way to make this all work.

I first thought that the z-bar would fit if it did not have the round stock welded to it for reinforcement.  That was mostly wishful thinking as I expect I'd need to dent the header at the collector a good 3/4" for this to fit together even with the round stock removed.  There just simply isn't room.

The following is a picture of just the steering box and the z-bar showing the clearance.

Then this picture of the steering box with the header installed.

With all three installed, the header is actually pushing the z-bar to the right by at least 3/8" so that it has no chance of fitting between the header and the steering box as it should.  

I started looking at cable clutch setups from Modern Driveline and Mustang Steve but they all require a particular bell housing, clutch, and/or fulcrum and arm setup.  I've searched for different headers but they are all rather expensive and would require I rework the exhaust which would likely make the parking brake not work again which is what started all of this in the first place.  

I really don't want to give up on the power steering and have everything ripped out of the box so returning it likely will not work out.  I really don't want to go beating on the header unless I'm positive it is going to work but it is hard to state at this point.  I've emailed the company which makes the z-bar to see if he has any ideas as he does custom make the z-bar but I'm not optimistic with the space I have available.

No comments: